View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 28th, 2024, 23:24

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Any of you know anything about cars? 
Officer

Post Re: Any of you know anything about cars?
In the UK the 2nd hand market is much larger than in DK i think, generally because we don't pay millions in tax.

June 15th, 2014, 21:13

Prices in Denmark are pretty ridiculous though, not much in the way of decent choices. You looked into a VW Polo maybe? The new polos look pretty nice and usually go for under 10k GBP.

June 15th, 2014, 21:18
Officer

They're a bit on the expensive side (VW generally). Start at the same price as similar medium sized cars with cruise control and aircondition, so I ruled em out.

Got like a list of 10 different brands/models that all cost about the same/same size/same equipment. Just looking at good deals now and what I want to try driving.

Mostly interested in hearing experiences a with repairs for different brands.

June 15th, 2014, 21:34

Well what is your list? You tend to find repairs cost cheaper for the more popular brands like Vauxhall, Ford or VW.

June 15th, 2014, 22:06
Officer

Been looking at bit at http://www.reliabilityindex.com/, the Vauxhall Corsa I was looking at doesn't seem too good and my 2 uncles have traded in their Vauxhalls because they kept breaking down.

Anyways, the current list:
  • Nissan Note (new model).
  • Ford Fiesta
  • Opel Corsa
  • Skoda Fabia/Fabia Combi
  • Kia Rio
  • Honda Jazz
  • Hyundai i20
  • Mazda 2 Go/Advance
  • Seat Ibiza

June 15th, 2014, 22:08

Yeah vauxhall corsas do have problems with the clutch and gearbox going so generally not great cars to get. On that list I would probably be more inclined to go for a Ford Fiesta or Seat Ibiza, both will be cheap on upkeep and repairs plus the insurance will be generally low. Kia is starting to make a name for themselves too so any new Kia is usually a good choice, not so sure about the rest of the list though.

June 15th, 2014, 22:17
Officer

Tried out the Hyundai i20, Kia Rio and Mitsubishi Space Star today.

Had my eyes set on the Kia Rio to begin with, but after driving it we weren't really that hyped on buying it. It was mostly the price tag that scared us (~20,500€), but it also had a blind spot in which a hoard of bicyclists could be hiding during right turns and the engine felt really underpowered.

Compared to the Kia we got a pretty good offer on the Hyundai i20 (~18,000€ for the same equipment and size), but the seating was fucking terrible (whoever decided that headrests should push your head forward needs to be shot) and the engine also felt underpowered in the i20.

The Mitsubishi Space Star was a bit of a joker - didn't really expect to think much of it due to its size, but Mitsubishi is making a comeback in the danish market and as part of that they are introducing the Space Star at a very competitive price.

It's slightly smaller than the competitors, though not as small as the micro cars (VW Up!, Citröen C1, etc.), but the space is well spent - it actually it felt roomier than the other cars (except for the boot).

For ~15,000€ you get the full equipment package (cruise control, climate control, 15" rims, heated seats, Bluetooth, keyless entry/start/stop and lots of other small extras) and the engine feels way more powerful (thanks to the car being lighter).

The handling could be better though. Some wobbling while turning and the interior is a bit cheap - but that's pretty much the same for all three cars. My biggest complaint is probably the 3 year warranty compared to 5 and 7 for the i20 and Rio respectively - we'll see how that works out in 3 years time!

Overall pretty good value (danish prices considered), so looks like we'll expand the family with a Space Star Inspire in near future (yes, that link is in danish, translate it).

August 10th, 2014, 20:21
Officer

Apparently the Space Star is known as Mirage outside of Denmark (or Europe maybe).

August 10th, 2014, 20:38
Officer

Fuck the Space Star, this car is the shit!

Also: Shiny!

September 27th, 2014, 21:12

My first car was a 2005 Fiesta, never had any problems. Absolutely perfect, traded her in in mint condition

September 28th, 2014, 22:37
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next